Monday, August 5, 2013

"Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?"

Feeling full of emotions today (even more than yesterday, if you can believe it!). I had my blood work and ultrasound again this morning and my follicles are officially ready. They were around 14mm yesterday and today they were 16-17mm, which means primo size for egg extraction. I was kind of expecting to have another day of going the way I have been, but now everything is changed for the next step. I stop all of my stomach injections (silver lining?) and officially move on to the dreaded butt shot! Tonight, I start off with my trigger shot, which is a shot of HCG that will assist in the final maturation of my eggs and give my ovaries the memo that they need to be released. My egg retrieval surgery is scheduled for Wednesday morning at 9:30am, where they hopefully get a bunch of mature healthy eggs and then fertilize them with a fresh sample of J's sperm. While I am knocked out with a needle up my vag, poking holes into my follicles, J will be in a special room, doing his biggest task for this process (makes me giggle, but I wish I had his job!).

 
So, as many of you may know...I am part of a group called August's Shooting Stars and it is for women cycling for IVF in August. I am so glad I have this group, because if I didn't have anyone to commiserate with about this whole process, I probably would have gone crazy (er) a long time ago! In the hope that I can bring all the luck I possibly can, I even made a "shooting star" t-shirt to wear during my egg retrieval and embryo transfers and I painted my nails in "starry silver glitter". I need all that shooting star juju!
Anyway, tonight at 10:30pm, I will officially be triggered! Ahhh! And this will be J's first experience with shot giving, since I did all my stomach shots myself (control freak and I like it that way!). I was freaking out to the doctor about it, so she gave me a few tips (which didn't really make me feel better about it) and even drew some circles on my butt, so that J couldn't possible miss!
Should have had her use a sharpie!
 
It's not even really on my butt cheeks, so hopefully this means it will be less painful! I am still freaking out though...butt shot anxiety is in full force! I know I am not alone though, and I have to just keep thinking of that. Wishing all of the other Shooting Stars luck with the rest of their cycles! I hope we all get our BFP's soon!
Hard to see, but he has star head bops!
 
**Figured I would just update this post instead of creating a whole new post. I survived my trigger shot. J did a good job once he was done panicking! My heart was pounding out of my chest, but in the end, I made it out to be WAY worse than it was. I am sure the progesterone butt shot will be different, since it is a thicker solution, but I am hoping it isn't too much worse!
 

I had J practice on a peach!
 



5 comments:

  1. Best of luck my friend, I love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear it wasn't as bad as you thought! You're a trooper, lady! Sending lots of luck your way for this cycle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new reader to your blog but wanted to let you know I'm sending you lots of good juju tomorrow AM!! GL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh I'm just getting caught up - I hope that everything went really well this morning! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete