Saturday, November 2, 2013

Egg Retrieval #2- Sunday, November 3rd.

So the dreaded time has come.  I wish I could be more excited, but I am already getting flashbacks about how I felt after my last egg retrieval. I am going to speak to the anesthesiologist about how I reacted and I am hoping there is something different he can use or that he can lighten my dose so I don't feel as awful and drained after.
This is how I am feeling about egg retrieval

I had my trigger shot last night (the shot of HCG is used to trigger ovulation, or in the case of IVF, loosen the eggs from the follicles so that they are easily sucked out when the doctor tries to retrieve them). Yep, that's the first of those big needles that go in my butt! J got a little cocky about the whole thing, since he had done them fine during my last IVF, so he didn't take the practice I made him do seriously and when he did the shot, it was awful and painful and burned like a sonofabitch!

He did it way too slow, instead of in a quick dart motion like he should have. It's a big needle so pushing it slowly into the skin, HURTS! I was NOT impressed and my emotions just started coming to the surface about this whole experience.

                                                This video shows how NOT to do a Butt shot!

Not only am I worried about the initial side effects of the anesthesia that made me miserable last time, but now I am also extremely worried that my eggs will have the same issues and that any embryos we get will be abnormal again. After surgery, I won't hear about how many eggs even fertilized until Monday morning and then I wont know how my embryos are growing until at least Wednesday, which is a long time when you are thinking about your potential babies sitting in a petri dish, with no knowledge of how they are doing! When I went into the clinic today to get blood work to check my HCG level, I was already like a teapot ready to boil over. I get there and request not to have the nurse that hurts my arm with blood work, and of course she's the ONLY nurse there to do blood work today! Well that was it....as soon as she called my name, I burst into tears like a crazy lady! She was nice and comforted me, and then another nurse walked by and saw me crying, so I guess she went and told my doctor, so he came out to say hello as well.  I need to start believing that this will work and I will get some nice embryos this time, ICSI will give me more options and increase my fertilization rate and my embryos won't be little scary monsters with a bunch of brains this time! I need a victory here!

 

Today, I am relaxing at home and making my mom's chicken noodle soup recipe as something to comfort me before surgery and hopefully something that I will be able to eat after surgery when I am feeling nauseous and have zero appetite. I even found "harvest" pasta at Marshalls the other day and thought that would be perfect to put in the soup, since this is the "Harvest Hopefuls" IVF cycle. It was randomly on a messy shelf full of different dry food goods and it was the last bag, so I am hoping it is a sign of hopeful harvests to come!
How cute is this pasta?



** Thanks for reading and thank you so much for all the well wishes I have received from everyone! It definitely helps to have the support when going through something like this. I will probably update on Monday, once I know what my Fert Report is for my eggies. THINK EGGIE THOUGHTS!

4 comments:

  1. You're such a strong woman! I know you don't believe it, but it's true. Good luck in the morning. I'll be waiting anxiously for your updates. <3!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your eggs will be egg-licious. Your ovaries will be all, "Leggo my eggo!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of eggies!! Good luck! Just take it one step at a time, you got this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you today and keeping my fingers crossed <3 <3

    ReplyDelete